Saturday, April 07, 2012

Home and (Almost) Employed

Well, I did it. I moved back to Southern Alberta. It happened almost a month ago (see how good I am at keeping you all updated ... sorry). My Mom flew to Portland to help me pack and finish with things there, and then she and I drove a u-haul back home. It was a great trip overall. The u-haul got quickly and efficiently packed with the help of some great friends, and we got my roommate all moved at the same time. It only took 2 hours to pack all her stuff, unload it at her new apt, and then pack all my stuff in the u-haul – and we took about half an hour in there eating carrot cake! It was awesome. Mom was so impressed. Then we left on Thurs morning to come here. We made it to Coeur d’Alene in Idaho the first night and we stayed at a Motel 6 there, then we drove the rest of the way the next day. The border crossing was smooth – you have to have a list of all the stuff you are bringing with you and the approx value or everything, but I knew that so I was prepared ahead of time, and all went well. We were only there for about 10 to 15 mins total, which was nice. We made it back home around 6 or so that night. Then we used the u-haul the next day to help my brother and his girlfriend move some stuff to a storage unit before returning it and we still didn't have to pay for extra mileage!

Since then I have watched a lot of tv and movies and read a lot of books (7 in the last month!) and, of course, I have also applied to a lot of jobs. I have had 2 in person interviews and one phone interview. I got a call a few days ago and I got one of the jobs I applied for so YAY! It is to be a health care aide. I have to do a 6 week training course first and then I have to do a distance ed class, but I think most of that should be a breeze (fingers crossed I didn't just jinx myself). And then after that I will just be casual (which means I will just pick up shifts when people are sick or want vacation) but that should be pretty good money, especially over the summer. I am excited. It will be especially good because it will be the perfect thing to help me get into PA school - assuming that I still want to go after doing this :D lol.

I think that is about it for updates. I have been pretty boring. Oh, I do have a car now too. Thanks to my younger brother, who is awesome. He is lending me a spare car of his. It is a 1995 Honda Civic hatchback. It runs well and gets awesome gas mileage, which will be good since I plan to commute until I figure out where I want to live and until I have money to move into an apartment. I am excited to get started working and be able to feel like a real person again instead of just a slacker!

So that means I have one last week of freedom! Any suggestions on what I should do?

3 comments:

Lex-a-roo said...

I'm so glad you found a job and that the move went smoothly. I hope it works out well for you. We will miss you but hopefully we will be able to arrange a time to meet up. Good luck with PA school if you need any help let me know.

Christina said...

Do they pay you for the training course?

Chelsea said...

I'm so glad you found a job and relatively quickly (I know, a month isn't that fast, but it's not too terribly long!) and you still have a week to do nothing or everything. I say, do something fun (maybe a day trip or overnighter somewhere) the first half of the week and the last few days before your new job, come home and just relax! Love ya!