Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chris

So when I got my job here in Oregon I started in June of '07, and there was a brand new set of interns. I didn't really know anyone in the area so I just hung out with them most of the time and didn't worry too much about making friends. But, as internships tend to do, it ended and they all left. So I was alone. Except for one person. The previous year, when my internship ended, one of the guys, Chris, had gotten a job there. So of course, when I returned he was still there. For the entire summer of '07, and then for the first couple months after that, he was one of the only people I knew (other than the interns that left). He was my saving grace that first couple months after the interns left. It was hard for me to go to a Ward where I didn't know anyone and so I was really crappy at going, and when I did go I didn't really talk to anyone.

Even after I ended up making friends, Chris was still there to talk to about work stuff and just whatever. Chris is one of the least judgmental people I have ever had the pleasure to be around. He was always around to listen whenever I wanted to complain about work, or about my friends, or my family, or whatever.  He and I never stayed up late watching shows or chatting, but we spent a lot of time at work hanging out and chatting :D

The thing I liked most about Chris was that he knew what my college experience was like, because he also went to BYU and so his was quite similar. And he knew what my work life was like, and not just from me telling him. It is different for some reason when someone has been there with you and knows what the work situation is like as opposed to what its like when you just tell them about it. And so I could tell him pretty much anything, or complain about anything, and he would totally get it. And he never judged me for making different kinds of decisions than he did. And he never looked down on me for it either (or at least he never made it seem like he did). And although he had different beliefs than me, he made sure to never rag on me for that or try to make me feel stupid or bad for it either.

After we worked together for however long he got pretty sick, and that sickness was intensified by his stress, and at a job like mine, stress levels are often high. So he got a new job. A better job. Which was awesome for him. But for me, it was so sad. I knew I would miss him a lot. Why did the new job he got have to be all the way across the country? Stupid. Of course, I never blamed him for doing it (although I coveted it a little bit) and I have to say were the situations reversed I would have done the same thing.

The thing I still like about Chris is that whenever he comes in to town he always makes sure to see me. And if it has been a long time since that happened he will call or email or chat with me somehow. And when that does happen, it is like he never left. I fill him in on what has been going on with me, and he fills me in on whats going on with him, and we just chat like we just saw each other the day before.

From him I learned not to judge, but just to accept others as they are. I learned that it is okay to make the decision that is best for yourself and not think about other people; it is okay to be selfish once in a while. I learned that keeping in touch with friends is important. I learned that sometimes, if you don't keep in touch perfectly, that is okay, you just need to pick up where you left off. I learned that making more money doesn't always make you happier. But I also learned that it CAN make you happier. I learned that sometimes it is just time to move on, and sometimes, it is hard to figure out that time, but sometimes you just have to go for it. I learned that sometimes things can go fast, but that is okay. I learned that sometimes you need to leap before you look.

No comments: